There are steps that can be taken in any order but I am going to give you a specific order!
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with 1" of cold water. Season water with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add chorizo and onion cook, stirring occasionally, until chorizo is cooked through and onions are translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Move chorizo and onion to the edges of your skillet and add another tablespoon of oil if the skillet looks dry. Add drained potatoes to the center of the skillet and spread out in an even layer. Let cook undisturbed until undersides of potatoes begin to turn brown and crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir potatoes into chorizo and turn off heat.
- Make your eggs: In a medium nonstick skillet, melt butter. Pour eggs into the pan and let set slightly, then reduce heat to medium-low. Drag the eggs with a spatula or wooden spoon to create curds. When the eggs are cooked to your liking, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Build the tacos: lightly toast each of your tortillas, then transfer to serving plates. Divide cheddar evenly between tortillas, then top with a scoop of chorizo and potatoes and a scoop of eggs. Serve with your choice of garnishes—and don’t forget the hot sauce!